Wednesday 14 March 2012

Framing

Mark has been delving into the mysterious art of framing. It seems there's a pitfall waiting at every possible stage of the process, but after a few practice efforts which will only ever see the inside of the rubbish bin, some quite acceptable frames are appearing on many of my pieces:


I think the frames add a new level of professionalism to the work and we'll be experimenting with different types of frame. I've also found a dual - level frame which I can use to create a true 3 -D piece - watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. what do you adhere your glass to in your art and how do you go about framing it for indoor and then outdoor pieces?thanks for sharing you beautiful art with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      What adhesive is the most asked question by mosaicists.
      There is no correct answer. Which adhesive depends on each different mosaic.
      My favourite adhesives that I use most are in this order, Weldbond, OmniGel, MacGlue and Surefix.
      Most of my outdoor pieces are Wedi board that has been framed with right angle aluminium.
      The wooden frames that I use on some of the indoor pieces have been purchased from the local picture framer.
      I also use one called ModWood which looks like timber but is actually plastic.
      I'm very lucky to have a handy husband who does all this framing for me. Another tip is to make the frame before you start your mosaic then make the substrate fit the frame.
      Hope this helps.
      Cheers
      Glenys

      Delete